Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Flensburg

Flensburg, Germany is where Danes go to fulfill their need for shopping, especially junkfood. If it wasn't for my conscience (actually my daughter's voice) telling me that products with palm oil are destroying the orangutan's natural habitat, I would have come home with several enormous containers of Nutella. Instead, I bought peanuts and soup. And chocolate. And advent calendars. I'm sure something somewhere is being harmed by the purchase of them as well but I am blissfully ignorant so far.
One of those advent calendars was a Lego one, which was quite a bit cheaper in Germany, even though Lego is a Danish company. So I went to Germany to save money on something Danish. Flensburg itself is very Danish however, as it has been a part of Denmark previously and now lies just a few kilometres south of the border.
Enough about shopping, here are some pictures of cool things we saw while walking the streets and visiting Museumberg Flensburg.

Museumberg Flensburg - it was a bit of a rainy hike to the front door but it was worth it.

I always love the taxidermy section. The deer in this part of the world are tiny!

Closeup of one the interior walls of an old farmhouse.

A sewing chest

This thing is old - circa 1400

This sucker is even older - circa 1300 

Our English friends make fun travelling companions - "peace" signs are for my benefit, despite what the gesture might signify in the UK

Interiors of old farm houses like this one were dismantled and put back together in the museum. They were at least 400 years old, full of beautiful paintings and carvings.

The rainy streets of Flensburg

The conductor let the kids sit in his chair before the train ride home. Dean was in heaven!


No comments: