Tuesday, April 21, 2020

manners

I grew up with good Danish table manners. I threw most of them out the window when I moved out. Then when I had my own family I tried implementing some of them again but failed and gave up. It has been nice to be around it again with my extended family here, except for recently since we can't all get together.

Here are a few that I know and appreciate:

"Værsgo"
We all wait until everyone is seated at the table together before starting. The host says "Værsgo!", here you go, the food is served. We can then fill our plates and eat, passing the dishes around. 

"Tak for mad"
At the end of the meal and before leaving the table, we say thank you to the person who cooked and prepared the meal. This one was very important in my family and I think it's a great way to show gratitude and respect. Many of us feel like we go to so much trouble making a meal and it is gobbled down in a few minutes with no show of appreciation. We were never allowed to leave the table before thanking my mom for the meal.

"Velbekomme"
(You're welcome) This is always said at the end of the meal in response to those saying thank you. I was confused however, when people would say this to each other at the cafeteria at work before sitting down to eat. I asked why this was said and no one seemed to have much of an explanation, just that it's a Danish thing that people say to each other, like "enjoy your meal". It is used in sort of the same way that "Værsgo"is.

"Skål"
On special occasions, when guests are over, etc. we clink our glasses, make eye contact and say "Skål!" (cheers!)

"Tak for sidst"
This directly translates to "Thanks for last" and is used to follow up with someone after a visit, thanking them for the time spent together, the meal, or whatever else was involved. I like this one because it leaves nothing hanging. I feel a natural tendency in my relationships to want to connect again after a get together and just thank them or let them know that it was good to see them.

Expressing gratitude to others is highly valued. At the end of a workday, we often say to each other "tak for i dag" (thanks for today). Maybe that is part of why Denmark is one the happiest countries on Earth.

Free food on our breaks at work...I eat way too much bread and chocolate...


Favorite beverages: elderflower juice and chocolate milk (only three ingredients: milk, sugar and cocoa)


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I recall you mentioning some of these things (customs). I can't tell you how much I have just enjoyed reading this! You are a skilled writer.
I grew up eating supper at the dining room table with my family and we performed all these same rituals. The specific expressions were not evident, but the gestures of gratitude and thanks were always performed. My step father was born in Kent, Great Britain. Having said that, I believe Canada is so wonderful because not a single tradition mentioned by you would seem strange to anyone here; we just don't have the history.
I will take my time and treat myself to the following blogs later. I must run and feed Maxx his dinner!
I hope you and yours are all well Liz!
Take care,
Hugh (your favourite neighbour)