Saturday, July 04, 2020

The Berlin Wall

We left Kolding yesterday morning around 9:30am and after one bus, three trains and a taxi we arrived at our Airbnb in Berlin, around 9:30pm. I don't think we have ever been happier to have clean, comfortable beds.
We slept in and didn't even leave the apartment today until the afternoon. We got groceries for the day and walked to the East Side Gallery, the longest stretch of the Berlin Wall still in existence (1.3 km). After the wall was torn down, painters from all over came to paint murals on the east side. It became a protected site soon after and has since undergone restoration. It is now the largest open air gallery in the world. I started explaining what little of the story of the wall that I knew to Dean and he said, "Yeah I know that already. I learned about it on Ted Ed." I think he actually knew more about it than I did! So we watched it again on YouTube when we got back this evening. 

Dean


Freya

Ila

Mei and her buddy Karl Marx
west side of the wall

Liam

picnic lunch on the west side of the wall

Liam and Dean on the train yesterday

1 of 2 bedrooms at the Airbnb

The corner store grows its own herbs!

More Berlin Wall pictures...



panorama by Freya
drawing taped to the wall
picture by Freya


picture by Freya

No comments: