Thursday, December 12, 2019

nu er det jul igen

Christmas is big here. Not over the top or tacky, but rich with tradition. All those little things my family did differently every Christmas are now surrounding me. I love it. My cousin stopped by for tea yesterday and she retaught me how to make paper stars, something I haven't done in at least twenty years. My aunt made me a greenery decoration which reminded me of the ones my mom arranged. Looking forward to doing some traditional Danish baking this weekend... 



The advent calendar selection is extensive...everything from chocolate and toys to beer, wine and lottery tickets. There is truly a calendar for everyone.

shopping for advent calendars in Germany
lottery advent

beer advent - I wonder if these are opened excitedly and
 consumed first thing every morning like the chocolate ones


Julemanden (Santa) came early to Kolding. He sailed into the harbour on a boat on November 29th, shook hands with all the children while his elves handed out candy and rode the Christmas train into downtown Kolding, where everyone sang Christmas songs and the big tree in the center of town was lit. Santa has now set up his workshop where kids can leave their stockings for him to fill and pick them up just before Christmas.  A lot of stores welcome stockings from children as well so there are stockings hanging in many of the small grocery and toy stores, waiting to be filled. We went to see Santa in his workshop (julemandens hus) and went for a ride on the Christmas train last week during the Kolding Light Festival, a wonderful way to spend the evening before Rus and Dean had to leave for Canada. Freya and Dean had their stockings hung up in Santa's workshop of course.

the boat
the train
the tree



julemandens hus - the ancient building that opens to the public during December

bedroom in Santa's workshop
the streets of Kolding

Nicolai Kirke during light festival

During the light festival, the church had an angel projected on their wall and you could get your face on it. Ummm, not what I was expecting as I entered the beautiful chapel. Maybe that was one thing that could be defined as over the top...was fun though.

Freya - that hair suits her
Dean - what a sweet angel

Koldinghus during the light festival
Freya and Dean - Koldinghus
climbing the castle tower stairs

No comments: