Thursday, January 02, 2020

Godt Nytår!

Fireworks can be legally purchased in Denmark by the public starting mid-December and can be set off from December 27th to January 1st. It was tempting to buy some of those big rocket ones just because I have never set one off myself but I chickened out. I had a bad feeling that something would go awry so I settled for a box of snaps and some sparklers. Ila and Mei had a couple of friends over at our place while Freya and I had a sleepover with our English friends at their house. The fireworks starting going off December 27th and increased in amount and frequency until New Year's Eve where they went off all around us continuously for a couple of hours. The last of the fireworks went off last night. There has been some debate over whether their use should be more restricted and regulated due to noise and air pollution, their effects on wildlife and pets, and the increase in hospital visits and property damage. Just after midnight, we walked down the street to get closer to where one of the neighbours was setting off rockets. We were across the street when one of them exploded on the ground instead of in the air. The kids and I instinctively screamed and ran. We heard swearing but a few minutes later, they resumed launching again.


Other traditions that we partook of: eating kransekage and jumping into the new year.
I missed the Queen's speech so I will have to check that one out later...

No comments: