Wednesday, January 29, 2020

What're the young people wearing these days?

I really want to take pictures of the teenagers at the bus station but I don't want to be a creep or violate their privacy. Also, Mei forbids it. I told her I wanted to write about the styles of teenagers in Denmark and she summed it up perfectly in two words: modern 80's.

So picture this for the girls: 
-Doc Martin's boots, colourful Vans, or white "dad sneakers"
-high waist jeans with wide legs, too short slacks (flood pants?) and if the pants are long, they are either rolled up or cut off, low-cut socks so your ankles can experience all kinds of weather
-tucked in shirts, big soft sweaters
-trench coats and pea coats in beige, black or plaid (I love the plaid ones)
-big soft fuzzy jackets, no hoods
-fannypacks worn across the chest
-Fjallraven Kanken backpacks and designer cloth bags
-long blonde hair with blunt cut ends

...and the boys are similar but their too-short pants are skinny, and they wear black quilted or lined demin jackets instead of fuzzy sweaters and coats. And no designer cloth bags. And short hair.

There are some pretty cool authentic 80's and 90's looks out there too.

The men and women are all pretty sophisticated looking with almost only black or neutral colours (or mustard yellow), skinny pants with leather shoes, black umbrellas, etc.
My favorite look is long flower print dresses with leggings and sneakers. Most comfortable outfit ever. If only they would put pockets in dresses. Then I would wear this getup every day.

The kids clothes are all pretty stylish too but I am not around younger kids very often.  The toddlers and preschoolers are all in full mudgear when I see them and the babies are happily sitting up in their prams with cute little bonnets like the ones my mom always made for my kids.

the backpack

baby style

Velvet tracksuits are making a comeback.  Yes! Can I pull one off though?



No comments: