Sunday, June 21, 2020

family history

We visited my aunt Karen (my Dad's sister) and my uncle Peder in Vejen yesterday, just a short train ride west of Kolding.  They took us to the small town of Malt, to the churchyard where my grandparents and great-grandparents are buried and then to the town of Askov where we drove past the house where my family lived when I was born and past the farmyard where my Dad grew up. The farmyard is no longer there. After my grandmother died and my grandfather moved away from the farm, it wasn't taken care of and fell into disrepair so I think it became pretty much unsalvageable. I spent a few summers there and have many good memories of it. There was a raspberry patch that in my memory was huge, but is more likely just regular sized, and some really good climbing trees. And then there was the terrifying task of gathering eggs. I had an irrational fear of being scratched and pecked to death by the chickens if I took their eggs. I have since gotten over that fear, thankfully.
I spent the remainder of the afternoon looking through old photographs with my aunt and uncle. I have learned so much about my family this year. I have come to understand my own parents better as I have heard stories and gotten to know their siblings. I have come to understand my own childhood and myself a little bit better too.

The kids and I at the gravesite of my grandparents Jutta and Thomas Rasmussen
and my great-grandparents Karen and Laurits Rasmussen
 The old church and the churchyard, both so well cared for.
Malt church was built in the late 1100's.

Rus and Liam and I arriving on the train in Denmark 17 years ago.
Liam was three years old and I was four months pregnant with Ila and Mei.
June 2003

Liam and my grandpa Thomas. 
He was so grateful to be able to meet his first great-grandchild (only one at the time)
and I was grateful to be able to visit him one last time.
June 2003

My parents (and older brother Thomas)
arriving at the airport for their move back to Denmark.
They were only back in Denmark for two years before returning
to Canada in 1980, this time permanently and with another baby (me).
Summer of 1978

Family greeting my parents at the airport and meeting my brother Thomas for the first time.
This is a pretty special picture. It is the only one I have ever seen that has members
from both sides of my family. My parents were married in Canada with no family present so
this is the only instance where they have all gathered in the same place.
Pictured with my parents and brother are:
Jens Erik (mom's brother), Jutta and Thomas (dad's parents), Karen (dad's sister),
Karl and Karen (mom's parents), Kirsten (mom's sister), and I think that is my
great-grandmother Astrid standing behind my aunt Karen
Summer of 1978

My brother Thomas and grandmother Jutta, on the road in front of the farm
named "Gejlholm". This picture was taken sometime in 1979 or 1980.

My grandfather Thomas and his sisters
Elisabeth (Lisbeth), Ane and Signe.
I have memories of Lisbeth (far left) at parties because she was so fun and
friendly and used to do a trick where she would make a tissue into a mouse.
I probably also liked her because we share the same name and nickname.
Date unknown

Freya playing on my grandma Jutta's piano at Karen's house.
I remember playing this in my grandma's house at their farmhouse.

The kids at the train station in Vejen with Karen and Peder.
(it was pretty sunny=squinty faces)

No comments: