Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Odense

The kids and I met back at the house yesterday for an all-day cleaning. Finn and Kirsten came for a picnic lunch break in the backyard. Freya had gone to a beach on the west coast with a friend last time they came so they wanted to come again to say goodbye to Freya too. I think saying goodbye to my aunt and uncle was the hardest so far. They have been a big part of our lives here.
Today we went to Odense to see the birthplace and childhood home of Hans Christian Andersen. We also visited a churchyard south of Odense in a little town called Dalum, where my maternal grandparents and my uncle had their ashes scattered. They are in the unmarked section of the graveyard. Even though everyone was tired and just wanted to go home, I was glad they were all willing to come with me anyway. Only a few more days until we leave Denmark!

Downtown Odense

Freya the photobomber

little old houses with little old doors
Melody, Liam and Ila

Dean and Mei in the garden behind HC Andersen's childhood home.  There was no garden there originally but he always dreamed of having one, so one was planted in his honor.




Attempting some family  pictures in the pretty garden

Ila outside HC Andersen's childhood home

waiting for the bus
Ila and Dean

Dalum Kirkegård

Empty and clean!
The kids worked so hard to help me.

Goodbye Finn and Kirsten!


No comments: